Wednesday, May 18, 2005

So near, yet so far...

I have this GREAT scarf that I knitted in response to a "commission" from my Brother - he requested it the week after St. Patrick's Day, and it took me WEEKS to find the right colors of yarn. As a result, I found the right colors in TWO different kinds of yarn, and Brother being consulted, the natural fibers were purchased. I found it in TLC and in a Cashmere/Merino blend - and ohhhhhhhhhhh, is that blend nice to work with. :-) I may pick up some TLC and see what it's like knitted up, just for my own edification - but anyway, I finished the scarf, and was so thrilled that I washed it, blocked it, and it wasn't drying. It would've MOLDED first, so I tossed it in the dryer on delicate/barely warm, and that took the edge off. Brother hung it up in his bathroom to finish the job, and he says he LOVES it. :-)

What did I forget to do?

I kept the labels to put in my new knitting journal.
I wrote down how much of each yarn color I needed.
I wove in my ends.
I explained to him how to block.

I didn't take a picture.

!!!!!!!

Now, although my brother only lives three miles up the road (currently with my parents), I'm bad at following through on things I "should" do. This past Sunday I finally grabbed my Mom's camera and told Brothermine, "I NEED to take a picture of your scarf, please!" He seemed very pleased to bring it out, and showed it to my sister, who reacted in a very gratifying manner. Speechless. :-)

The scarf is in an Irish Flag pattern, and it's knitted lengthwise - I didn't knit & seam the stripes, I knitted (garterstitch, on size 9 bamboo circs, 36" long) the whole thing as one piece. I like the look of the the thing, excepting for the right side/wrong side the striping causes. I think I will try it the next time with knitting the stripes then seaming the whole thing together.

I want to post the picture, but I am hesitant - because my Husband, Brother, Sister, and Mother all think I could sell these scarves for some appreciable dinero. !!! I'm not sure - but I have to believe that they're not all just saying this because I'm the little sister/youngest daughter/Best Friend, but because they really think the scarf is handsome, and marketable. Sister & Brother think I should take an ad out in the back of one of the East Coast Irish newspapers (the Echo or similar) and offer just this one pattern. I'm thinking a wide version and a narrow version - and they both think I should have a supply built up before I put the ad out, since they say I will get a HUGE response!

Understandably, I'm interested - and a little hesitant. It's not a "get rich quick" scheme, but a legitimate business opportunity - but I guess I tend to sabotage myself before I can get stuff like this off the ground.

So, what do y'all think? Should I go for this? Should I post the picture? I don't want anyone else to snag this idea before I get a chance, but how much of a possibility/risk IS there, really? Oh, I'm torn.

Opinions, please?

1 comment:

coccinelle said...

i don't see my comment either. but it was to the effect of how nice it is the have your knitting appreciated, especially by family. and to wish you a happy future in knitting blog land. yay cori!