Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Answers to Questions - FINALLY!!

My good friend Chris at Woolybuns was "interviewed" in her blog, and then asked for anyone else who would be interested. I was, of course, one of the first to volunteer, since on my GOOD days, I'm an attention slut. :-) Yea, Yea, I'm not sugar coating anything, there it is, and reputation be damned. Still like me? ;-)

So here are Chris's very cool questions, and my attempts to answer. Anyone who is interested in being interviewed, read the instructions at the end of the interview, and then leave me a note/comment and I will think up questions for YOU!



What is attachment parenting and why do you choose it?

"Attachment Parenting" is a nurturing, responsive style of parenting that respects the individual needs of your child. It takes many forms; each family will do what feels right for their situation. Many parents who call themselves AP say that when they found the term Attachment Parenting, they were relieved to know that what they'd always practiced/felt to be the best way for their family actually had a NAME. :-)

Why do we use/practice AP? Really, because it is the style that I instinctively felt was right for us...Simply, I planned my child, and so I treat her like I really want her with me. :-) Sure, I have my nights out - my ME time. Part of respecting my child is respecting mySELF, and showing HER how to do the same. I treat her as though she is a sentient, loving, feeling being, rather than an accessory, or weight to be carried. I'm by no means saying that all Non-AP parents feel burdened by their child/ren...but that the way I was raised, and the way I see many other children being raised, is not the life I want for MY child. I had a WONDERFUL childhood. However, I wasn't respected - I was made to mind. I didn't have rights until I turned 18, and that was normal in our circles. I was spanked/hit; humiliated as a disclipline tool, and all the other tricks that the "baby trainers" of my Mom's day advised. I love my Mom with all my heart, and it hurts me that she was advised to do things that SO went against what her mother's heart wanted to do...but since it was a doctor who advised these things, she thought they must be exactly right.

I guess I should just say - when Mom told me what the doctor told HER to do about my older sister's crying, as an infant - I knew I wanted to raise my daughter differently. The doctor told my mom, "Put her in her crib, leave the room - close the door - and go vacuum somewhere else in the house so you can't hear her. She'll stop eventually."

There's lots more, and I'm very passionate about this issue - obviously!! But I'll stop here...I think I've said pretty much what I wanted to at this point. If anyone ever has a question, please feel free to ask it!!

What drew you to learn to knit?

My Gramma knitted...crocheted...tatted...embroidered...you name it, she did it. Gramma was born in 1904, and learned as a child - she was very prolific, as all her grandchildren can attest. I've heard that these things can skip a generation, and it's true with us, at least. Gramma knitted, but my Mom decided she "couldn't" do that (everyone in my family has ALWAYS been a perfectionist - do it PERFECT, or don't do it at all.), so she would try something different. Mom became a seamstress until her arthritis prevented it.

ANYhow, my Gramma taught me how to knit when I was very small...but I guess I didn't have the patience to learn it all the way through, so every time I thought I was done, I'd pull it off the needle...and poof. As the yarn unravelled, my face & spirits fell - and the laughter in the room would increase. I gave up. I picked it up again in college, but couldn't learn how to bind off - and the resulting scarf is one that I really should photograph...but I think it'll stay packed in a trunk, for posterity. How NOT to knit a scarf, I think. ;-)

Then, last September while visiting my folks on vacay in Newport, RI, I found a knitting shop that had just opened. It was adorable, and as I'd just been gifted a copy of Stitch & Bitch, I thought, What the Hell, let's give it one more go. I stocked my essentials bag, and started knitting - and I'm still going, 9 months later. I think it'll stick this time! :-)


Where would you go for a second honeymoon?

Funny thing about this question is, I never got a FIRST honeymoon - we took a quick vacation, but we visited family, and didn't get any alone time. Be that as it may, if money were no object, I'd love to go to either Scotland or Japan - but if money WERE a concern, I think we'd probably spend the honeymoon in Vermont or Rhode Island.

What’s the best thing about being a mom?

The Best thing? Well...Hmmm.....I guess, the best thing about being a mom is, ... Being a MOM. Having that little hand reach up for yours...hearing, "Mommy, you're my best friend,"...watching her develop and grow - all of it. ALL of it. :-)

When children are grown and on their own, what will you be doing?

Don't have a CLUE. Helping homeschool my grandchildren? ;-) Knitting, definately - rescuing animals, hopefully - vacationing with my best friend, my husband? For Sure. :-)




The Rules of The Interview
1. Leave me a comment saying “interview me.”
2. I will respond by asking you five questions here. They will be different questions than the ones above.
3. You will update YOUR blog with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions

No comments: