Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Secret Pal Questionnaire - in which I answer...the questionnaire, silly!

Here's the questionnaire from Secret Pal 5 - Please, Secret Pal, forgive me for not getting this up sooner!! I'm still using my husband's computer, as mine is BACK in the shop getting "fixed". Urg.

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?

At this point, I'm NOT a yarn snob. I like pretty much everything I've knitted with, however I will say that Red Heart is great to practice with, but it's not my first choice for a project yarn. Since I'm still so new to knitting, I'm enjoying finding out about & using the different kinds of yarns...haven't knitted with many different kinds yet, to be brutally honest! I'm really looking forward to trying silk, and bamboo - I like trying new yarns, but they're often out of my price range, to be honest.


2. Do you spin? Crochet?

I do not spin (YET), but I'd like to learn - and I'm just teaching myself how to crochet. I've got the slipknot down PAT, and can do a chain....and a single crochet...I Think. :-)

3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)

I am allergic to cigarette smoke - but I think that's the only thing.

4. How long have you been knitting?

Roughly 9 months now - since about last September (2004).

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

I do now!! :-) Check it out - and yes, some of it is for my daughter, but I think you can figure out what's for ME and what's for her! ;-)

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)

Hmmmm...well, I like Vanilla, Maple, Coconut, Honeysuckle, Mock Orange, Hyacinth, Lily of the Valley, Tabu Perfume, Cucumber/Melonish stuff...Chocolate, Nag Champa, Sandalwood, Jasmine....

7. Do you have a sweet tooth?

HELL YES! :-) Problem is, I am severely Lactose Intolerant - so that rules out a LOT of sweets for me. I can eat most dark Chocolate, but I have to always check labels - manufacturers sneak lactose, cream, and milk solids in wherever they can, and that is NO fun for me. I don't do caramels or taffy, as my mouth is full of fillings, and nothing can pull them out like caramel or taffy!! LUCKILY, there are lots of soy frozen dessert alternatives that are yummy - so I do pretty good with my sweet tooth!!

OH - almost forgot - I LOVE MAPLE SUGAR!! Not "Maple Blend Candy", but MAPLE SUGAR CANDY!! :-) Mom's family is from Vermont, natch.

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?

I'm really NOT the crafty kind of person - tho I am doing more crafts now that I have a 4 yr old in the house. We buy kits, or I get ideas from books.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

I love almost everything except Rap, Hard Rock, Hip Hop, 70's disco...but if I have to get specific, I like: Classical, "World" Music (those 'Putomayo' Collections are GREAT examples), Celtic (both instrumental and vocal), most Country, Classic Rock, Melissa Etheridge, Lyle Lovett, Beatles, Eagles, "Shrek" soundtrack - I am a person of very eclectic tastes, and I make no apologies!! :-)

Both my computer and my cd player can handle MP3's, so my husband tells me. Just for the record, of course. ;-)

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?

I like Jewel tones, deep colors - I can't handle/wear pastels, so I generally stay away from them. Red is my favorite color - almost all shades of red, not any one in particular. Nothing out there I hate - at the moment!

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

I'm married to my best friend, and this year is our 7th anniversary. We met over the internet (through Love@AOL), and knew before we even laid eyes on each other that we were madly in love. :-) I have a 4 yr old daughter - she's indescribably wonderfully HERSELF - really a bit of everything, all the time...and None of it. YAH - that's why she keeps us on our toes!

We rescue & rehome cats, and at the moment live with 7 permanent felines. 2 have epilepsy, and 6 are 6 yrs or older, with my oldest around 14. He's got FIV, and has recently gone blind in one eye - but he's still lovin' life, and going strong. We hope to rescue a dog or two when we fence in our (small but servicable) yard in a year or so!

12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)

Really have no answer, other than to live a good life, and HELP rather than Hinder.

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?

Not sure yet, really - I did like the feel of the cashmere/merino blend I worked with recently; but I also found a really soft acrylic that was HEAVENLY. :-)

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

None that I know of yet.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?

I guess I don't have one...I knit a lot of prayer shawls at the moment, and lap robes have kind of come from that.

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

Still not sure on this one yet.

17. What are you knitting right now?

A Shawl/Lap Robe for myself, a Prayer Shawl, a nice tank for myself from Creative Knitting magazine, and a cotton dishcloth to learn a new stitch.

18. What do you think about ponchos?

Love them - hope to knit a few soon!

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?

I like them both - I like circs for traveling, but straights for other things - really depends on my mood, and the project.

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

Bamboo - then plastic - then aluminum.

21. Are you a sock knitter?

Not Yet, but I WILL BE!

22. How did you learn to knit?

Originally from my Gramma, THIS time from Stitch n'Bitch and Knitting for Dummies - AND the wonderful ladies at my SnB group!

23. How old is your oldest UFO?

I just finished it recently (a shawl), it WAS about 8 months old...!

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?

I think Hello Kitty is adorable - not sure what else, but will keep thinking...

25. What is your favorite holiday?

Easter!

26. Is there anything that you collect?

I collect books, Penguins, and cats. :-)

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

None yet.

28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on?

Well, I made up an Amazon wish list of books & stuff, but I can't think of one right now that I'm DYING for - maybe 'cause it's late at night, tho. ;-)

Alright, it's BED time now. I hope you've got something useful here, and I look forward to hearing from you!!

No comments: